Monday, January 21, 2019

A Members Perspective

The Quilted Boutique
by Pat H.
    About 15 months ago I made a queen size t-shirt quilt for my granddaughter as an apartment warming gift.   I had never made one of these before and really didn’t know where to start.   I did purchase a Craftsy (Blue Print) class, The Ultimate T-Shirt Quilt with Winnie Fleming, which was very helpful has far as cutting out the t-shirts for the quilt, how to apply the interfacing to the backside of the t-shirts, and t-shirt layout ideas.   
   When I got to the point of purchasing the interfacing to apply to the t-shirts, I really wasn’t sure what to purchase.    I stopped by The Quilted Boutique and Janlynn, the owner, was very helpful and is very experienced.  She has made a lot of t-shirt quilts and other types of quilts for customers.   In fact she was working on a family type quilt for a customer for a special occasion when I stopped in.    She recommended Pellon P44F at Joanns and the best part is that it was inexpensive, which was good for this project.

  Once I got the top laid out and sewn I went back to The Quilted Boutique with quilt in hand to inquire about batting and having it quilted.   She recommended a batting that she sold there and she also machine quilts for people.   When it was time for the quilting, I brought the quilt and the back piece and purchased the batting there at a very reasonable price and left the quilt to be quilted.   I did not have to put the quilt pieces together, as the long arm does that.   The price for the machine quilting and the batting was very reasonable and I was really pleased with the results.   She also applied the ASG discount.  She offers t-shirt quilt classes (which I didn’t realize at the time of the making of my t-shirt quilt); regular quilting classes; felting classes; basic sewing lessons; and will help a sewer learn their sewing machine.   She advertises in our Chapter newsletter.  Check her ad for store hours and other information.   

    I would recommend The Quilted Boutique in Colonie to anyone.  She is local, reasonably priced, very helpful and knowledgeable, and also has a nice selection of reasonably priced fabrics in her store.   Check it out.   She is located at 4 Vly Rd. in Colonie.   Vly Road is across from the Kohl’s Plaza entrance at the traffic light in Colonie.   She is the second building on the left, a gray house, coming in from Central Avenue.

Posted by Bonny D on January 21, 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment